Nairobi, Kenya: The British government has now told more than 5,000 British nationals who are in Mombasa to leave because of high threat of a terror attack.
The UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office, through the British High Commission issued travel advice Wednesday against all but essential travel to Mombasa Island and the surrounding area following recent terrorist attacks and the continuing terrorist threat in the area.
“If you are currently in an area to which we now advise against all but essential travel you should consider whether you have an essential reason to remain. If not, you should leave the area. You can still access the Moi International Airport but we advise against traveling through Mombasa Island,” read part of the advisory.
FCO advised against all but essential travel to Mombasa island and within five kilometers of the coast from Mtwapa creek in the north to Tiwi in the south.
This area does not include Diani or Moi international airport, the advisory added.
“To counter the shared threat of terrorism, the UK is committed to working with the Kenyan authorities to strengthen their capacity to investigate, prosecute and detain terrorists in line with international human rights standards.”
Other officials said the threat is unacceptably high amid claims terrorists planed to strike Mombasa.
Mombasa is a favourite destination for many Britons and Europeans and such an advisory could negatively affect the tourism sector.
This is the latest advisory and of highest to be issued by Britain in a series that has negatively affected the tourism industry.
Mombasa was on May 3 affected by two blasts that left three people dead. The first incident happened at a bus stop where at least two improvised explosive devices went off at the crowded place killing three people and injured more than 30 others.
The second blast happened at a popular hotel, Nyali Reef, but no injury was reported after another IED that had been abandoned went off as it was being taken into a sentry.
The incidents were followed by twin explosions in buses along Thika Road where three people were killed and more than 80 injured. No serious arrest has since been made since both blasts happened.
There has been a blame game between police and intelligence officials over the blasts. More than 20 terrorists attacks have taken place under the Jubilee regime, which has been in power for 14 months, and the trend, if it continues, could bring the tourism sector to its knees.
Source: Standard Digital